Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Individual Technology Assessment

     As an educator, my strengths are that I use technology. I use digital cameras, take digital videos, and I know how to upload and edit them. I also use email and instant messageing. I use social networking sites like facebook. I am a distance education student comfortable with using a web-based course interface. I can submit assignments electronically. I am adept at using search engines and online catalogs to find the information I need. I know how to use flikr to find images and I know how to cite them. I am also familiar with the creative commons. I am somewhat familiar with cloud computing and have worked on a class project that I set up in Googledocs. I use an iphone to stay connected. I have a nook and an ipod. However, my biggest strength is that I realize I have a lot to learn.

     My weaknesses are many. I do not know how to edit or create web pages. I realize that as immersed as I feel in technology, I still don't know as much as my 14 year old nephew who can hack websites. I am not familiar with RSS feeds. I have never uploaded a video to youtube. I have listened to a podcast, but I have never downloaded one to my ipod. I know what a wiki is, but I have never used one. I am sure there is more that I don't even realize I don't know!

     I will use my strengths to promote technology in the library and in the classroom. I will give teachers the tools to use technology to create instruction. I will encourage them to let students create projects, book reports, and videos using technology. I will use my design background to provide interesting examples of technology products.

     After I graduate this summer, I plan to take a web design class. I want to know how to create a website from scratch. This has been on my agenda for a while. However, I have seen so many school library websites that are boring and dull that I have decided this is a priority. I want to learn how to create the website elements that appeal to youth. I also need to take the time to explore and create using web 2.0 tools that are freely available.

No comments:

Post a Comment