Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Library 2.0

     I think it is great that individuals can assign their own tags to items and essentially catalog a collection themselves. However, this method of cataloging a collection focuses on their specific interests and their own particular terminology. Some might find these terms helpful, but others might not. Lay users don't understand the concept of a controlled vocabulary to facilitate collocation. It is up to librarians to catalog using a controlled vocabulary. However, it is also important to take into account user needs. I think users should be allowed to tag library resources. Librarians can evaluate the user generated tags, and in some cases might even add them to the bibliographic record if the terminology seems relevant to users. I think it is important to remember that the library is for the users, and we are responsible for keeeping it relevant. Web 2.0 allows for participation in all new ways. Library 2.0 must as well.

     My Delicious tags are relevant to me. They reflect current terminology and my specific concerns. As a result, they are more helpful to me than traditional subject headings. My tags are terms that other librarians would identify as well. In that respect, they are reflective of subject based knowledge. Librarians don't have an extensive subject knowledge of all topics. This is where user generated tags can help fill in the blanks and make the catalog a more accurate retrieval tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment